A lot of Executives ask ‘what should be a key priority for my Business?
I know they are generally concerned about high order issues – such as growth, sustainability of their business model, customer intimacy, disruption and transformation.
But my initial answer goes to a lower order fix – that saves money, creates capacity and helps set the base to tackle transformation and the higher order challenges.
The ‘fix’ I talk about is automation – ensuring that critical processes and activities in their business are streamlined, codified and automated.
Automation, and particularly refining and documenting the processes and activities to enable automation, ensures that the organization has a standard way of doing things. If done well, it eliminates unnecessary activity and duplication. Digitizing activities sets the base for transforming the organization to a more digital future and creating new online business models to create better customer knowledge and intimacy.
But to date, their is a surprising reluctance to really embrace automation in many organizations.
I hear a range of reasons:
1. A lack of understanding by senior personnel
2. A fear that it will eliminate roles and create people concerns
3. That documenting what is done will highlight the inefficiencies that sit within the current system
4. That people are so busy doing the everyday that capacity can’t be devoted to automation
5. That existing systems are old and creaking and their is concern to ‘tinker’
6. That the new systems we are putting in will have all that!
7. I don’t want to make investment right now.
A well structured approach to automation solves all these issues – with generally fast payback. Investing in additional capability to get going will create money and capability and staff generally respond well. They realize the flaws in existing processes and in the main are pleased to be part of an organization that is modernizing.
And both old and new systems are not a barrier or replacement for automation.
So to me, Automation should be a A priority issue for most.