Developing a strong network is a foundation for career success – yet so many people have fears or misconceptions about building a network.
Networking is not:
– something you do to someone
– going to conferences and cocktail parties and collecting business cards
– manipulating people to get them to give you work
– something that can only done by extroverts or smooth ‘salesmen’
Networking is no different to building friendships – it’s about building genuine relationships based on authentic and consistent interactions over time.
– building relationships before you need them
– building relationships with people who you can help and can help you
– trusting that if you put energy in, you will receive something in return over time
– something you have to do consistently – daily is best and weekly at a minimum